Thursday 4 November 2010

Feedback on my first newspaper layout

This is my first draft of the masthead, logo and possible layout of the magazine cover. I want it to look formal and serious because the newspaper will be done in formal manner. I have shown this layout to other students and they've given feedback...

Positive points:
. The header/ masthead
. I like the design of the logo
. The newspaper looks like it would appeal to your target audience (male and female)
. I like the different sizes in the 'morning' and 'telegram'
. Your idea is quite original - no one else is doing this so it is a good idea
. Your layout is well worked out
. Title is relevant to target audience - formal
. Neat layout
. Very appropriate logo, looks like an international newspaper
. The logo works well with text
. It matches a conventions of a local newspaper
. Relevant to older audience. Looks very formal - just black and white
. The layout has been well thought out


Points for improvement:
. Looking at the templates there maybe a lot of spaces and gaps
. The theme of the newspaper may not appeal to 18 year olds
. Where are the dates and websites going to be put?
. Boxes should link right to the margins
. I agree that you should put your age range up
. Maybe add some slight colour
. You could make the title stand out more by giving in a shadow
. May not appeal to 18 - 25 year olds
. There's a lot of blank space on the masthead
. Put range up, 18 year olds would not like
. Could fill more space with mast head
. Small bit of colour



This is what students pointed out about my newspaper layout. By looking at these comments I now know that I will have to put the age range up because 18 - 40 is not the right age. as they say 18 year olds wouldn't be interested in this newspaper.
Next thing I should do is work out where I will put the dates, website and price. It is very important to make it stand out a little bit.
I will also try to play with the masthead and make it stand out a little bit more.
I will not change the logo because students agreed with me, and they liked it. I believe that it's unique and interesting. I have never seen anything like this before. So it's a good addition to my newspaper cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment